I told myself many years ago that I would never marry a man in the military because I thought life would be too hard and I didn't like the idea of constently being away from the man I loved enough to marry for eternity. Little did I know that our Heavenly Father had a military man in store for me all those years ago.....
In 2001 when the terrorist struck the twin towers my now husband was off serving in the Marines. He found himself and his commrades in Okinawa, Japan that fateful day and once they heard about US Territory being attacked they were on fire and ready to "kick some butt" per se.

I was 15 at the time and I can pretty much guarantee that I was not thinking about marriage or boys. I was shy and pretty much kept to myself, my family and close friends. So the last thing on my mind was worrying about "my man" getting ready to go and fight a war. And to be honest with you I believe that I was a bit naive in what all was going on in the world....I considered my world to be very small and simple, that was until I stepped into college and realized that I was wrong. The world was a big and often scary place to be in by yourself. I was extremely grateful for the chance I had to go to college. My husband did not get that chance since he chose to go the military route a few years after high school. Anyway, getting off my little tangent now.....
I am very grateful for his service in protecting our country and giving me the oppourtunity to exercise my freedoms. Some people may consider him damaged goods from everything that he went thru in the military, but I believe otherwise. I believe that his experiences have made him a stronger individual, a leader and an amazing person.
I am even more grateful that he came back alive so I could meet him and marry him for time and all eternity. And by the end of the year we will be blessed with our first child, a little baby boy who I think (from the ultrsound pics) looks just like him. Which I am totally fine with :)
I feel bad for him on days like today, Veteran's Day, as well as all the other holidays we have to honor our military....he lost many of his commrades while serving in Iraq. For I know how much he misses them, but I believe it is safe to say that they are all in a better place, safe from wars and the need to fight off the evils of this world.
Thank you to All the Military Service Men and Women, the Veterans past, present and future!



No comments:
Post a Comment