Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Late August Update

August has been a whirlwind month for us and our immediate families and its reminded me of the small and simple things that get us through everyday. A smile, a kind word, a phone call, a song you hear on the radio, a hug, and the list goes on.

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to give advice to someone when you haven't been in a similar situation yourself? Its hard to relate to how they are feeling and what they are going through emotionally and physically. My mind has been focused a lot on my family and relationships with them. Mainly on 2 of my sisters and how grateful I am for them and their strength through trials.

****

My sister, that is just older than me, has been struggling with many things over the years health wise, but lately its been in the relationship department of life. She was happily engaged to who I am told is a wonderful guy and they were set to be married in October and the next thing I know the engagement is off. When I heard the news from her I didn't know what to say and especially what kind of advice to give. So I did the best I could with what limited detail I had from her and what guidance I got from the spirit in thinking of what to say to her.
She has recently moved into a new apartment and gotten a new job and so she is trying to rebuild a life for herself without him in it right now and I just don't know what to do or say. Heartbroken, moving on with her life, and still managing to stay in a cheerful mood....that's my sister Cassy.

*****


The other is my sister-in-law, Kate. She and I are pretty close in age and its been fun getting to know her over the past couple years. She too, has also been through some tough stuff the past few years, but I would have to say her most recent trial tops them all by far. You see she and I both found out we were pregnant within a couple weeks of each other, for both of us its our first. Its been so fun having someone to share the dramas of pregnancy with. We found out that we were both due within about 2-3weeks of each other in the month of December. Then we both found out we were having boys. So exciting being able to relate and have someone to talk to...that is until she had her latest ultrasound appointment earlier this month. They discovered that their perfect little boy was not perfect and would not make it full-term. He has what's known as Trisomy 18, which is extremely rare. Once he is born he will probably not live for more than a day, unless heaven provides a miracle for this little family. They have recently found out that the best option for them at this point is for her to get induced early so that they will have a chance to see and hold their precious baby boy in their arms before he passes. I have found it extremely hard to reach out to her with comforting words. My heart stopped when my husband told me what was going on one day when I came home from work and I burst into tears. We sat and cried together on our living room sofa. Sorrowful cries for our sister and her little family, mixed in with ones of gratitude that it wasn't us. I felt selfish with that though but couldn't help it at the same time. Since then I haven't know what to say to her nor have I really attempted (I know I'm gutless...shame on me). I have overheard conversations Ryan has had with his parents when they have called to give us an update. The last time he called he actually talk to Kate for a little while and he told me how impressed he was with her faith, strength, and positive outlook. Said that she was defiantely growing up.


Its been hard for Ryan to watch Kate struggle through the years cause he has always felt really close to her and when she hurts, he hurts....its the perfect brother-sister relationship that I had always yearned for as a kid. So yes I am slightly jealous of their relationship, but they are both amazing people to me that I am eternally grateful to have in my life.



I want both Cassy and Kate to know how much they mean to me (and the rest of you too) and that they are teaching me about life as I watch them grow in their own lives.
Cassy you are my big sister and my close friend, always will be. Despite how far apart the miles have been keeping us over the past several years. Glad we have always been able to be there for each other when it matters most.

Kate, I don't know what to say beside I admire your courage with what you are going through right now. I do know one thing though, that our little boys may not get the chance to play with each other in this life, but I can guarantee that Brysen and Jayden are playing together right now and creating a bond of friendship that will last until they meet again....forever little buddies. Which I find comforting to know and so I hope it helps.

No comments: