Ryan was in the Marines, stationed in Okinawa, Japan. It was night-time and he was with his company. He heard one of the other guys in another room watching TV and heard him say holy s_ _ _ ... (and I'm paraphrasing this next part here cause i don't remember everything he told me that was said)
Ryan went in and saw what he was watching and asked: "Is that New York?"
"Yeah"
Ryan: "Where did you get this movie"
"Dude, this is for real"
Ryan: "your kidding. this is live?"
"Yeah"
Ryan turned to one of the other guys in the company that had followed him into the room, they tapped drinks and he said "lets go pack!"
Several months later down the road, he was off to Iraq with his company Fox 2/5 as part of the 1st wave invasion.
Allison, all I really remember is watching the news all afternoon, amazed and in shock of what had happened. I don't think it really affected me very much then, at the age of 15. I knew what it all meant, I just didn't see the whole picture like I am sure a lot of people did. I remember people talking about it for weeks and trying to figure out why and who and if they were planning another attack....besides the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. It never even crossed my mind then that I would marry a man that had been in the military. I thought it would be too hard dealing with the guns and war stories and if he was currently serving I would be in panic everyday wondering if he was alright. I am truly grateful that my husband served his time in the military before I met him, so I didn't haft to deal with the consistent daily worry for his life. I know he lost a lot of the friends he had made when he was over in Iraq fighting with them. Being leader of a squad carries its burden. I am sure those men are on his mind today as they are with every patriotic holiday.

May Our Heavenly Father be with the families of those that were lost, those that have fought, and those that are fighting for our Freedom.

No comments:
Post a Comment